Empowering our LGBTQIA+ Community
This campaign recognizes the long struggle of the movements for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, questioning, intersex, and asexual rights.
There have been huge strides toward equality and justice in the 50 years since the Stonewall Riots of 1969, but true equality is still a horizon we continue to fight toward. We know that LGBTQIA+ people still experience higher rates of discrimination, homelessness, suicide, police profiling, incarceration, poverty, and violence stemming from hate than the rest of the country, and these outcomes worsen dramatically for Black, Latino, and indigenous people. Many of our hard-fought victories are currently under attack by the Trump administration and the current balance of the Supreme Court, so we need a Legislative branch packed full of allies.
As a parent and family member, as a teacher and organizer, as a civil rights lawyer, I am committed to fighting for the dignity and right of self-determination of every member of our community.
When elected, I will work to:
- Pass the Equality Act, the Every Child Deserves a Family Act, and the LGBT Elder Americans Act
- Ban conversion therapy, “bathroom bills,” medically unnecessary surgeries on intersex children, and other harmful efforts to impose gender identity or sexual orientation
- Fight any attempt to ban LGBTQIA+ people from military service
- Fight for a single-payer Medicare For All system to ensure LGBTQIA+ people have comprehensive healthcare benefits free from discrimination including gender affirmation surgery, hormone therapy, HIV care and prevention, and comprehensive mental healthcare
- Fully fund comprehensive, accurate, and inclusive sex education in K-12 schools
- Increase federal investigations into anti-LGBTQIA+ discrimination and enforcement